I Love to Tell a Tale of a New Trail
I am often asked how I find trails for my guidebooks. A legitimate question, for after all folks buying my books are trying to find trails too. Okay, this is how I do it-incorporating any one or more of the following methods per trail.
- General Knowledge/Life Experience- I already know the trail exists
- Maps of all degrees and from various agencies
- Old guidebooks and competitors' books
- Websites of land agencies, trail advocacy groups, hiking forums, and non-profit land trusts
- Word of mouth from other hikers and explorers
- Word of mouth from locals of the area that I am researching
- Scouting roads and parks and forests firsthand while researching a different trail
- By accident-driving by and noticing what appears to be a trail!
(Photo: Lost Oak Trail is lost no more now that I found it!)