Saturday, September 06, 2008

Doing the Happy Dance on Evergreen Mountain!
Well, summer has returned in the Cascades- allowing me to return as well. And on Thursday, September 4th, I researched the 125th-the final hike for my upcoming Day Hiking Central Cascades Book (Mountaineers Book). It was up Evergreen Mountain in the new Wild Sky Wilderness. A little 3.0 mile roundtrip hike that I had to mountain bike 18 miles roundtrip to access it! The road-other than the two washouts is in excellent shape and made for a nice ride-albeit 2,000 foot elevation gain-but what a glory ride down!

And the Hike? Fantastic! The views simply glorious- what a way to finish my research and perfect for doing the happy dance! My fifth book with the Mountaineers now coming to a finish. What was supposed to be the easiest of my three Day Hiking books to research turned out to be the hardest with a long winter-cold spring , crappy second half August and lots of road washouts.

Of course even done with this project there is no time to rest for this busy guidebook writer. On Friday I was off on another mountain bike-hike adventure-to Twin lakes- a brutal but gorgeous day trip that's going in my upcoming backpacking book. Yeah- I did it in a day-but it's backpacking material. Next week? A four day backpack to Buck Pass- High Pass-the Napeequa Valley and Boulder Pass- man-when will I have time to write all of this down? As soon as it starts raining of course!


No comments: