Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mapping out a New Hiking Future

To all my faithful followers, thanks for sticking with me! As you know this has been an extremely busy year for me having just completed researching and writing (and mapping and photographing) two new books. Good news-they're done! They'll both be out next spring and then I'll be busy out and about promoting them. I look forward to seeing many of you at these events and sharing all kinds of great hiking information with you. In the meantime, I'm back to blogging on a regular basis now that I am no longer in the woods and working on a manuscript every waking moment of the day. And if you're wondering what I'll be working on next-I am currently working with Rich Landers of the Spokesman Review of Spokane on a Day Hiking Eastern Washington Book. And I have been working with Green Trails cartographer extraordinaire Marc Rothmeyer on two new Columbia River Gorge maps. You are going to like these, and my new book references them. What we have found is that many previous existing maps of the gorge are simply inaccurate. They don't show many trails or they show trails in the wrong places. And of course with all of the new trails recently constructed in the gorge, most maps don't show these as well. So, definitely check out these new maps when you head down to the gorge this spring putting my new Day Hiking Columbia River Gorge Book to work. And of course I'll be out mapping and writing about many new places soon. So, let me ask you this--where would you like me to write about next? Where do you think a new book should be written for? Let me know and as always I thank you for your support and I look forward to seeing you on the trail or at an upcoming book event where we can talk about our great trails and outdoors!

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Day hiking in the Colville/Salmo-Priest area? I know you cover some of that in the new backpacking book.

Craig said...

Jesse-
You're in luck-the book that I am currently working on with Rich Landers, Day Hiking Eastern Washington covers the Colville and Salmo-Priest Wilderness as well as the Blues, Columbia Basin and Spokane area!It'll be out in the spring of 2012.