Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Wren is the King of all birds!
Happy St. Stephen's Day
!


To all my Irish friends, I wish you a happy St. Stephen's Day! I'd love to be in the County Claire right now tipping back a pint listening to some great Irish Music. But alas I'll have to settle for Boston and a Chieftains CD! And to my friends north of the border, a Happy Boxing Day to you! And to you Yanks, no it doesn't honor Rocky Marciano or Joe Lewis. Its about (traditionally) giving a gift to those less fortunate or to a social inferior. Unfortunately Like our Christmas it has been corrupted over the years by becoming over commercialized and celebrated by consumption. We need Linus to explain to us what the real meaning of Boxing Day is!
If you see a wren today, here's a few lines from a traditional Irish song to sing to help usher in the mood. The Clancy Brothers would be a good choice today to listen to-to help set the mood.

The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze,
Although he was little his honour was great,
Jump up me lads and give us a treat
(photo-from wikipedia)

No comments: