Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Bring on the Winter Solstice

It was 19 degrees this morning when I awoke. Grabbed the icy paper, a hot cup of fresh brewed coffee and sat in my favorite chair. Scruffy Gray commenced to warm my lap and read the paper with me. He's pretty impartial to the news-unlike me. But the thing that we both agree on is how much we love this time of year. And especially for ole Scruffers who we rescued on one of the coldest days of the year. He is very happy now to have a warm home during these frigid nights. The days are short and the nights are long-the coming new year is just around the horizon. I love the days and weeks leading up to the solstice because it is a time for reflection and renewal. November's dreary grey days are behind. The joy of Christmas and the promise of a New Year is just around the corner. The house is decorated-Vince, Frank, Nat, Bing, Johnny, and Faith are filling my office with songs of good tidings, warm blessings, nostalgia and a promise for a better tomorrow. The air is crisp outside, the sun is shining, the cats are napping, and I'm busy plugging away on the computer. An afternoon run into the late autumn stillness is near. It's a great time to be alive-spread the cheer!

(photo- a frozen Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire- Winter Solstice 2007)

No comments: