Friday, November 06, 2009

Romano's Favorite hiking Haunts no. 7
Spain's Parque Nacional de Ordesa y Monte Perdido

Or in English, Ordesa Canyon and Lost Mountain National Park. Yes, it's the rainy season once again and I am spending inordinate amounts of time in front of my computer working on two new manuscripts and organizing photos. My computer recently crashed and now I am organizing my photos once again. Note to you procrastinators- BACK UP ALL OF YOUR IMPORTANT FILES! I'm so glad I did as my life's work in writing and photos could have been lost forever. Anyhow, boy do I miss Spain's Ordesa Canyon and Monte Perdido. An amazing area in the Spanish Pyrenees bordering France, this park has some of the most amazing hiking in all of Europe. I believe I visited this park on 7 separate multi-day excursions and I never tired of doing the long grunt into Ordesa Canyon, one of the most spectacular places in the world. The topography here is spectacular from Utah like canyons to Appalachian like hardwood forests-and the wildlife- isards, bone-breakers, and fire salamanders! I'd go back to this place in a small vertebrate's heartbeat!

No comments: