Thursday, December 11, 2008


Award Winning Christmas Tree!
I have finally figured out what to do with all of those half-marathon and marathon finisher medals that Heather and I have acquired over the years. Decorate the Christmas Tree with them! Now, I must admit that I didn't come up with this ingenious idea. I learned it from Interurban Running Club members J Ellis and his lovely wife Meridith when I attended one of their infamous Christmas Parties. What a great idea!

Once a year for a month or so I get to let all that shining hardware dangle among my favorite ornaments. And what are some of my favorite running medals? Well based on their designs and not necessarily the race they represent, some of my favorite tree-decorating medals are:

The Eugene (OR) Marathon, the Manchester (NH) Half Marathon, The Calgary (Alb) Stampede Marathon, the Saskatoon (SK) half-marathon, and the Republic (WA) Gold Rush age-division winner medal.
The last one wasn't a marathon-but it was one of the hardest 10ks I have ever run-and the medal-is one of the coolest I have acquired with its rock-pick and shovel design. Anyone else out there with an award winning tree?

No comments: