Friday, August 22, 2008

Mountain Bike
The 11th Essential
With so many Forest Roads washed out in Washington these days, my mountain bike has become my 11th essential when out hiking. I need the rig just to get to the trailhead. Now, granted it can be a drag pumping up a steep incline with a heavy load on your back-but-you are so happy to have the bike waiting for you at the end of your hike when you can cruse back to your vehicle. I've got one more bike-hike left for my Central Cascades book-this one to Evergreen Mountain. Then after that-its mountain biking and backpacking for my next project, Backpacking Washington. Whoo-boy-that'll be fun with 40 lbs on my back-but once again it sure beats hiking back all those extra miles on boring road. Now get those damn roads open! I'm ready to just do some hiking!


No comments: