Most of them lie east of the crest. And yes at $4.25 a gallon it may seem like a tough burden to bear-just don't go over there for a day. I always spend at least one night at a campground enjoying 2 or 3 hikes each shot-and more like 4-5 hikes on a 2 or 3 night trip. You want snow free?
- Twin Lakes in the Glacier Peak Wilderness
- Mission Ridge and Devils Gulch
- Ingalls Creek for the first 6 miles
- Chiwaukum Creek for the first 5 miles
- Dirtyface Peak to the 5,200 foot line-easy snow walking beyond
- Twin Peaks (Horse Lake Mountain) outside of Wenatchee
- Burch Mountain outside of Wenatchee
I've already racked up miles on these hikes last month returning with dry boots (except for a few creek crossings). And if you want more information on these hikes, be sure to pick up a copy of Day Hiking Central Cascades, coming to a bookstore near you next spring!
(photo-Twin Lakes, Glacier Peak Wilderness May 2008)