Wednesday, February 27, 2008


Wallace Lake Buried in Snow
I took a nice hike yesterday to Wallace Lake in Wallace Falls State Park off of US 2 in Snohomish County. First time up the Greg Ball Trail. Nice trail and a fitting tribute and monument to the late trail advocate.
The hike up to the lake poses no problems. But wait till you get to the lake. Over two feet of snow in spots. Unbelievable since the lake is usually snowfree and only at an elevation of 1,800 feet.
The snow at Wallace Lake is a harbinger for hiking in the Cascades this spring and summer. Snow? Get used to it. I could have used skis or snowshoes up there. The hike to Pebble Beach on the north end of the lake was slow going. So was the way to Upper Wallace Falls from the lake. I think I'm planning on packing my snowshoes with me on most of the hikes I do this spring. I still have lots of trails I need to cover for my next book. And I can't let a little thing like a lot of snow keeping me from making my deadline now can I?
(photo-Wallace Lake 2/26/08)

No comments: