Sunday, September 30, 2007


Boundless Beauty in the Boundary Waters

I recently returned from a one week trip to Thunder Bay, Ontario on the shores of Lake Superior, gateway to the the incredible Boundary Waters Area. Aside from spending an amazing day hiking in Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and two days out in Quetico Provincial Park, I was treated to a float plane trip to White Otter Lake. From the air it is simply astonishing to look out at so many lakes and see so little human development.
Living most of my life on both coasts, I tend to forget how much wilderness and beautiful backcountry exists in the middle of the continent. Northwestern Ontario is an incredible area of rugged beauty, sparsely populated communities, thriving wildlife populations, and enough protected parklands to keep your paddling and hiking wanderlusting in full gear for many lifetimes. I'll be writing about some of these places in upcoming articles for various publications as well as for the Weather Network's website under their park report section. I'll keep you informed to when these articles appear. Meanwhile get those maps out and start planning some new adventures.

No comments: