Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Warning:
Loons spotted in Ferry County
No, Bill O'reilly didn't spot Barbara Streisand or Micheal Moore in North Central Washington's Swan Lake. No these loons are the feathered types-Gavia immer-they're beautiful and they're rare in Washington. Being a New Hampshire boy, one of the things I miss the most in the Pacific Northwest is the cry of the loon coming from a misty, placid lake. Northeast Washington is fortunate to have several ponds and lakes with breeding pairs of loons. Little Swan Lake just south of Republic is one of them. Hike the 2.0 miles around this pretty little body of water or spend the night at the campground. Let the loons serenade you through the night. They're far better to listen to than Streisand any day!
I'll be heading off to Saskatchewan later this week to do some hiking and paddling and a little bit of writing as well. I'll be in the heart of loon country. Heck-every time I buy a coffee up there I get to fork over a loonie or two (Canada's currency). I'll let you know how it goes when I return. Meanwhile. if you want to learn more about this majestic bird-the true call of the north, check out the Loon Preservation Committee.

No comments: