Monday, January 28, 2008




Lodging A Compliment

As a world hiker and traveler I certainly spend a considerable amount of time in a tent. But I like comfort too-especially in the form of a lodge-rustic or a tad bit plush. I especially enjoy returning to a warm and cozy adobe during the wet, dark and cold months of November through March. Now, while I don't get out to ski as much as I would like (too busy working on the next hiking book) I do occasionally sneak out to cut some tracks. And when I head off on a little skiing sojourn you can bet I enjoy staying at a cozy lodge afterwards. In this month's Outdoors Northwest I have a feature on great Northwest lodges to head to after playing all day in the snow. One of my favorite places is the the Scottish Lakes High Camp. Its not in the feature-too rustic for this story-but I have written about them in the past and I encourage you to check them out. Nothing else like it in Washington-and the owners, Don and Chris Hanson know how to run a great operation. So dislodge your butt and head out for a fun filled weekend of staying at a cozy lodge.

(photos- Scottish Lakes High Camp in autumn and Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort)

No comments: