Sunday, January 07, 2007


And 700 Running Miles!


I logged a total of 730 miles on my various running shoes this past year. Most of it was out and about in Seattle. But there was so trail running in the Pyranees, and some great runs in Montreal, Saskatchewan, and New Hampshire too.


I begin each year with a New Years Day Race-the last three in the little town of Temple, New Hampshire (population 1,400). January also has me running in the Nookachamps Winter Run Series in Mount Vernon, Washington. I have been attending that race ever year since I moved to Washington back in 1989. This year's race will be my 18th-my longest and most continuous running streak-I even did it after I had a back injury a few years back. Yeah-I know that's stupid-but I'm a guy and I didn't want to break my streak.


No marathons last year but I did complete three half marathons: Wenatchee (WA), Saskatoon Sk, and North Olympic Discovery (Port Angeles, WA). My best time was in Saskatoon with a 1.42.18. Yeah-I know it is far from my personal best of 1.23.29 back in 1991. Those days are gone! Well-going to try a full marathon again this year and a lot more halves. Got to stay in shape for all of the hiking I'm doing. Plus, running is my job too with 3 regular features in Northwest Runner Magazine: the Washington Club Report, Monthly Race Preview, and Northwest on the Run. And speaking of the Northwest on the Run, my latest installment due for the March issue is on Richmond, BC. Check it out and I'll see you on the trails. Ciao.

No comments: